Friday, June 12, 2009

Clear the air about the tax credit


First let me state the obvious. This tax credit should not be so ambiguous, but it is so I will attempt to set the record straight. A furnace must be 95% efficient or better and an air conditioner must be 16 SEER or better. A heat pump must meet 15 SEER or better. Now I realize that these terms are not familiar to most people so I will attempt to explain them. Seasonal energy efficiency rating or SEER. This is the rating of energy that is used in order to cool or heat depending on whether you have an air conditioner or heat pump. Note here that just because a piece of equipment has a particular SEER rating, does not mean that it makes the rating by itself. What I mean is that each piece of equipment must be referenced through the ARI.org site to find out which pieces coupled with others meet that rating. Saying this another way by giving an example: I can take a 16 SEER condenser and pair it with a perfectly matched cased coil made by the same company but it will not reach 16 SEER unless it is paired with a variable speed blower unit. Therefore, even if I sell you a "16 SSER" system it will not reach 16 SEER unless I install a variable speed blower unit as well. These things have to be approved through the ARI website and matched up. Don't try to do this yourself. It is hard enough for us professionals. Call a pro and they should be happy to pair up a system for you or better yet, call me and I can help.



No comments:

Post a Comment